Wednesday, July 20, 2016

A Letter, From George Washington to Martha Washington, June 18, 1775...

"You might, and I suppose did perceive, from the Tenor of my letters, that I was apprehensive I could not avoid this appointment, as I did not even pretend [t]o intimate when I should return - that was the case - it was utterly out of my power to refuse this appointment without exposing my Character to such censures as would have reflected dishonor upon myself, and given pain to my friends - this, I am sure could not, and ought not be pleasing to you, & must have lessened me considerably in my own esteem.

I shall rely therefore, confidently, on that Providence which has heretofore preserved, & been bountiful to me, not doubting but that I shall return safe to you in the fall - I shall feel no pain from the Toil, or the danger of the Campaign - My unhappiness will flow, from the uneasiness I know you will feel at being left alone - I beg of you to summon your whole fortitude Resolution, and pass your time as agreeably as possible - nothing will give me so much sincere satisfaction as to hear this, and to hear it from your own pen."

Letter, George Washington to Martha Washington, June 18, 1775

www.georgeandmarthawashington.com | 386-943-8647 | huzzahc@gmail.com | twitter.com/_TheWashingtons | georgeandmarthawashington.tumblr.com

No comments:

Post a Comment